Friday, May 15, 2009

social experiment

VIDEO!!!
I'm sorry that there is no video, we filmed the experiment and it was a success, but Kathrin was unable to upload it on to her computer because it was too big. But basically it is the video of me skateboarding through seaport village with long john underwear on. you said that this was all I needed to put up for the video since we couldnt upload it

Social Experiment

Research Problem: How will people react when someone rides by on a skateboard in long tight underwear? Will people be shocked, confused, or pay no attention? If this is unresolved we will not know how people will react when they see someone dressed very differently. The purpose is exploratory.
Operation: The variables could be the location. If you are in a place where there are a lot of people dressed differently then you may not get much of a reaction. But if you are somewhere where people are all dressed similarly we may get much more of a reaction. So in downtown people may react less than they would at the mall. We will need a video camera to explain these observations. It has not changed from what I originally intended.
Hypothesis: My hypothesis is that people will stare and turn their heads as I pass. The independent variables are the number of people who will be there for the experiment. The dependent variable is how many people will react. The location could have made a difference in the experiment. People in society have specific norms for what people wear. Although many people dress very differently most things that people wear are accepted in society. So when someone drastically breaks the norm many people will be very shocked when they see that.
Research Design:
Mode: Experimental. The design is suited very well. By skating in a very deviant outfit we can get reactions from many more people because I can travel through everybody very fast. The hypothesis was definitely tested very well with this experiment. We got to see many reactions from many people.
Sample: It was a sample because it was a specific group of people at seaport village. The sample was people at seaport village, this is a great sample because there are a lot of local people there on their day off, as well as many tourists from around the country/ world. So we were able to test a lot of different people all in one place. It was representative of the population of San Diego because of all the people there on their day off. It is very likely that the findings will be generalized to other populations because there was such a wide variety of different people there.
Findings (analysis and interpretation):
When I skated through seaport village wearing my long underwear pretty much every person I went by turned around and stared at me. I basically got a reaction from everybody there. I was very noticeable because what I was wearing was so different. We filmed this experiment and it can be viewed on Kathrin’s camera.

Summary and conclusion:
When I skated through seaport village wearing my long underwear pretty much every person I went by turned around and stared at me. I basically got a reaction from everybody there. I was very noticeable because what I was wearing was so different. I don’t see this being looked at in any other way. Everybody had a very similar reaction of confusion and surprise. It could have been different in a place where there were a lot of people dressed in deviant clothing, because then I wouldn’t have stood out. My hypothesis was definitely correct. I got the reaction I was expecting from just about everybody. It shows that people in society are not very accepting of people wearing very different clothing because there was such a big reaction from each person as I went by. Another question could be would people react differently if I had been walking by, rather than skating. The weakness of the study is that I only studied one group of people. For this to have been a better study I would do the experiment in a variety of locations.

No comments: