Wednesday, February 13, 2008

rough draft of essay

What I want to accomplish after high school.


My name is Mason Newstead and I am currently an intern at Fox 6 News. Over the past few weeks I have become very interested in the news. I think that it is really cool. I really enjoy learning how everything works there. A lot of things interest me and I think that I may possibly consider going in to news production as a job. Although the times aren't very convenient for me, I still think that it would be very cool. So to pursue this after this internship is over I would need to ask for either an extended internship, or possibly a job. Then when I go to college I will major in something related to media, then following college I will get a job working in news production.

My internship will end in June. But I think that it would be really cool for me to be able to extend my job there somehow. I plan to ask my mentor for a job or just a new internship for the summer. If that is able to work out I would stay doing that until the end of high school. This would give me a great experience that no other high school student would. It is nearly impossible to get an internship at a place like fox, so for me to have an internship/job for over a year in high school is going to be great. I think that that experience will definitely help me get me in to a good college. I would like to attend one of the UC schools. After being accepted I would like to major in some sort of media. So I may possibly get experience making movies or something along those lines while in college. Following graduation I am going to search for a job.

Most likely I will return to fox in search of a job. I think that by then I will have built up some strong connections with the people there and It may be easy to get a job. But if this does not work I will venture out elsewhere. It would actually be more convenient to have a job in news for an afternoon news show. Because then I could get to work, do the news, then get home and still have a night to myself. If I were to work at fox, I would be at work until eleven o'clock at night, and I would prefer not to have a life with such a weird schedule like that.

So once I get the job somewhere this is really where my accomplishments would start. I would work my way from the bottom up. I would most likely start out doing either teleprompting of videography. From there I would maybe start doing things like video editing. Then I would learn CG, then TG. With all of my prior experience I think that after about five years that I could be the director of the news show. That would definitely be something to be proud of. five years would be a very short amount of time to move up that fast in a job like that but I believe that it is a good thing to be ambitious and set your goals high. That’s how you really accomplish things in life.

I think that this is a very doable goal. I'm not sure if this is actually what I want to do. But I believe that at the moment it is a good goal to have. If I were to do everything that I plan on doing I would be very happy with myself. Accomplishing something like that would be a great challenge yet it would come with the great reward of being successful and happy with yourself.

No comments: