Thursday, January 17, 2008

book report

Book Report

Gantos, Jack. Hole in my Life. New York. Farrar, Straus and Giroux: March 26 2006.



My mom had bought this book for me. She told me that it was the author of a children's story called Rotten Ralph that we used to read when i was younger. She said that it was supposed to be really good, so i decided to read it. This book is a memoir. It takes place mainly on a boat and in prison during the 1970's.



Basically Jack Gantos is a teenager. Very separated from his parents. Ends up moving out just to make it easier for them. He is very interested in writing, but he doesn't do much work in school. He starts smoking weed and writing less. Then he gets offered a job to sail a ship carrying a huge amount of marijuana and he will be paid 10,000 dollars. He takes the money and decides this is his way to go to college. The money will easily pay for it. Eventually they are caught by the FBI and he is sent to prison for 2 years. He gives a lot of insight in to what prison is like. He explains his thoughts in depth and gives you an idea of what it was like to be him. You also see his mind change throughout his time in prison.



Jack is the main character. The entire story is about him so he is pretty much the only one to talk about. Well in the picture of him on the cover he is tall. He has long black hair, and a thick mustache. Also during the book he said that he had really bad acne after being on the boat for a long and that when he was stressed out he would “work his face over” and he would just pop all the pimples on his face. He is pretty interesting. He tells the story very well and it is a good story. It is cool to know that all of this actually happened. The plot really changed him by the end of the book. That was the whole point of the story. Him changing. He actually became a determined person that got in to college and actually did something. He actually became a writer. Where before he was just a pothead.



I did like the novel. It was a very good story and it was very well written. I was interested and entertained throughout the story. I definitely learned a lot about what prison is like. Which is cool. It also helps me never want to break the law because I do not want to go to prison. Its point about life and values where that you should actually act on your goals, not just talk about them and get prepared for them. It taught me to never break the law enough to go to prison. I would recommend this book to others. I think this book would be more powerful to someone that is experiencing things similar to that of what the main character in this story was experiencing.



Well this book was a true story, so it is real life. It doesn't really remind me of anything. As I said, I think that this would be an important book for people who are experiencing similar difficulties as the main character was.

Its hard for me to put myself in his shoes because we have such different lives and we are very different. But I could put myself in prison, at such a young age, like he was. I know that it would be really scary. I think it ended very well, and I was happy with the ending.





I know that he wrote a children's book called Rotten Ralph that I used to like when I was a kid. This book is nothing like the other one. This is his life story, not a children's book. I have sort of read a book like this (A million Little Pieces) but I think that this was a much better story. I really liked the main character of this one, and I didn't really like the character in A million Little Pieces. I probably wont read anything else from this author And i probably wont read another book like this.



No comments: